What kinds of sounds are there in Minecraft?
There are three main types of sounds that you might hear during a Minecraft game:
- Music (which can signal the transition at different times of the day, like sunrise)
- Ambience (often spooky sounds that play when you're near a cave)
- Sounds associated with creatures or player actions (e.g. chopping down a tree)
When might you need to adjust them?
Some people find the music soothing but others find it annoying, so if you want to hear the player sounds but not the music you can adjust those volumes separately. Likewise if the hostile creatures noises are scary for your kids, you can turn those off but still hear the friendly creatures like the sheep and pigs.
How do I do that?
1. Pause the game (press Esc) and click Options
2. Click on Music & Sounds
3. Drag the slider to adjust the master volume. You can also adjust the individual volume of:
- Jukebox/noteblocks (special blocks which play a prerecorded 'music disc')
- Weather (thunderstorms and rain)
- Hostile and friendly creatures
- Ambient sounds (noises that happen as you're exploring, like spooky cave sounds)